Thursday, September 22, 2016

Writing - Ideas Seem to be the Easiest Part

Having 95% finished the first draft of 2 novels, I find that there seems to be two really hard parts of writing fiction. First, there is overcoming the initial impression that you have to get it right the first time.  For me, this change came when I read about a well known author working on his 25th draft of a novel. Along with this knowledge comes the fact that most authors never "feel" that they have really finished editing, they get to the point where they realize it is good enough. Second, the feeling of where to go with that first draft. That is where I am now.  I suppose I will save a copy of it as the foundation of later starting points if it happens that my edits lead me down dead end journeys.  Maybe that is why a novel can have 25 drafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment